As Malaysia’s largest private co-educational British international school, Garden International School (GIS) is very experienced in dealing with transitional support for new arrivals and leaving families. The school was recently shortlisted for a Relocate Award in the school category by Relocate magazine, in the first awards scheme for the relocation and global mobility sector.
How GIS supports new families:
- New parents are introduced to the community through New Family Induction Days at the beginning of the term. There are also informal New Parents Workshops offering an opportunity for new parents to socialise and have all their queries answered.
- Non-English-speaking families enjoy tremendous support including help with their child’s English development, the availability of translators for initial meetings, English lessons for parents and the Parent Buddy Programme run by the Parents, Teachers and Friends (PTF).
- The PTF is the ideal platform for communication covering important aspects of school life, and to sign up for cultural visits and experiences in KL.
- The Mother Toddler Group is for non-working parents with children below four and held twice weekly.
- ‘Good Goodbye’ events are held termly to ensure a smooth and positive transition for leaving families.
Making a child feel welcome in a new school is of the utmost importance to ensure he / she settles in quickly, feels secure and happily begins to learn. The award nomination is recognition of GIS providing an excellent service and significant contribution to the relocation and transition of pupils and their families into the GIS community.