Recipe: Petit Pain1 Nov 2013
Christophe Gros of Yeast Bistronomy shares with us the recipe for classic petit pain.
If preferred, you can add walnuts, raisins, cheese, duck bacon or your favourite seeds to the dough for a more aromatic loaf.
500g plain flour
10g salt (White Sea or guerande)
5g dry yeast
1 KitchenAid Robot Mix
1. Add flour and water in a mixing bowl and mix for five minutes. Allow the mixture to rest for 15 minutes.
2. Add salt and yeast, and then mix for another 10 minutes on Speed 1.
3. Mix for two minutes on Speed 2.
4. Transfer dough into a plastic container and wrap in plastic. Let it rest for one hour.
5. Divide the dough by 100g each and shape into round pieces. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
6. Shape the dough according to the desired form such as a mini baguette, a mini boule or anything you fancy.
7. Put the dough in a tray, cover with plastic and let it rest for another hour. You can sprinkle some flour on the top if preferred.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 240°F.
9. Just before baking, put a bowl of water inside the oven to create steam.
10. Remove the bowl of water and bake the dough for 15-18 minutes. Serve warm.